Backpack Compatibility: Do IcePlate® Classic and IcePlate® Curve work with my backpack?
IcePlate® was originally designed with a specific mission: cool soldiers under body armor. Shortly after launch in August 2016, we started to discover a wide variety of new uses and applications for IcePlate®. Some of these new applications were things we discovered randomly like how well IcePlate® fits in seat-back pockets of commercial airplanes, making it a great companion for any flight over 2-3 hours and a mandatory companion for any flight over four hours. Other applications like Firefighter Rehab, were discovered by our friends and industry partners like SOARescue. If you are looking for a resource on standalone IcePlate® carriers, check out our article "How do I wear IcePlate®?" here.
One of our favorite "non-body armor" applications discovered after launch is the role of backpack hydration system. This use case leverages the thin, flat profile of IcePlate® to maximize storage/packing density while carrying more water in less cube space. This may sound like a nuanced concept, but wait until you slide an IcePlate® into your favorite backpack (we recommend Vertx and Haley Strategic Partners for your EDC and tactical pack requirements) and notice how much more space you have (while having the option to carry nearly 2x more water than a Nalgene or other legacy bottle) for other essential items like your laptop, noise cancelling headphones, charging cables and external batteries. The "water bottle bulge" is a thing of the past. You never knew life on the go could be so good!
*Haley Strategic Partners FlatPack and FlatPack Plus with IcePlate® Curve
Above: IcePlate® MOLLE Sleeve Pro Combo (IMS Pro Combo) is compatible with the Haley Strategic FlatPack and FlatPack Plus
Below: HSP FlatPack Plus: run MOLLE through integrated IcePlate® Classic Integrated Strap Loops or inside main compartment
*N.B. on Haley Strategic Flat Pack Plus: IcePlate® does not fit inside the hydration pockets of the HSP FlatPack and FlatPack Plus. It only fits inside the main compartment of the HSP FlatPack Plus. To run IcePlate® with the HSP FlatPack, run the MOLLE through the integrated IcePlate® Strap Loops. The ideal integration for the HSP FlatPack and FlatPack Plus is to run it like this:
Photo Credit: Jason Demo
One of our key design philosophies here at Qore Performance® is to make every attempt to "future-proof" our designs and make our entire ecosystem as cross-compatible and interoperable as possible. Our Upgrade Bundle is a perfect example of that design philosophy. If you own a Standard IcePlate® (no Quick Disconnect) and are looking to plus up your capabilities, we now offer the Upgrade Bundle to retrofit your Standard IcePlate® with a Dust Cover Kit, On/Off Valve, Quick Disconnect and Anti-Kink Spring Kit. This is ideal for users who carry their IcePlate with them in and EDC capacity or for travelers and frequent flyers who use IcePlate® with Vertx Backpacks as their carry-on bag.
If you don't see your backpack on this chart, please email us your knowledge/experience with your specific IcePlate®/pack combo. If you include pictures and we use them on this post, then we'll even send you some swag totally on us! We'll add this new info to the chart for the benefit of the entire community. The Backpack Compatibility Chart, like our Plate Carrier Compatibility Chart, is a community asset and will be updated continuously. Thank you for your help!
IcePlate®/Backpack interfaces from the field:
Vassili F. - Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon 2 and Maxpedition Falcon 3
Above: IcePlate® Curve fits inside the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon 2 backpack for hydration
Above: IcePlate® Curve fits inside the Maxpedition Falcon 3 backpack for hydration, but it can also be mounted to the outside for conductive cooling/heating and hydration.
Phil S. - SOG Ninja Tactical Day Pack (24AUG 2018)
1. "The IcePlate does not fit in the hydration reservoir, the plate is too big. I Jimmy-rigged it on the trail by making a needle and thread out of a fishhook and line to shorten the retaining strap on the Ninja so the IcePlate rides higher and fits more snug"
Jason D. - Vertx EDC Commuter Sling (03SEP 2018)
1. "IcePlate will fit in the hidden compartment of the EDC Commuter Sling it also fits inside the inner zippered pocket within that compartment that is for your armor insert."
2. "IcePlate fits inside that inner zippered pocket for the actual armor WITH armor in it. You should be able to carry it in the hidden compartment, in the armor pocket, or in the armor pocket with armor."
Tyler C. - Ogio Metro & Sportiva Frame Pack (12FEB 2019)
1. "Here are those pictures of the unit rigged up in my frame pack. Also sent some of it in my OGIO bag, iceplate fits securely in the laptop sleeve in the main compartment and hose runs out the hole for your headphone wires. Took it on a hike this weekend, worked great and as expected."
2. "The cool thing about your product is the versatility, another way I plan to use it is in the airplane when I start taking lessons again. I’m always thirsty so always have a water bottle with me, problem is in most small airplanes there’s no cup holders so your fumbling around with a bottle while your trying to fly the plane. With your product you can put it in the pocket on the back of the seat or Velcro it to the rods in the adjustable head rest (seats are similar to a car seat with a head rest or a map pocket on the back of the drivers seat). The iceplate is secured to your seat back and you can run the hose up over your shoulder and clip to your shirt. This way it only takes one hand to grab a drink and your not fumbling around with a water bottle risking dropping it and having it get lodged under one of your pedals which control the airplane and could cause a very bad day."
Leave a comment