Best Engineering Jobs in Knoxville, TN: Mechanical Engineer (Military, Outdoor, SPORT)
Are mechanical systems intuitive to you? Do your friends and family get frustrated and jealous by watching you assemble an entire IKEA room purchase without ever looking at the directions? Do you have a "get it done" personality? Do you live and breathe form following function? Was Thermodynamics one of your favorite courses? Do you have an interest in Materials Science? Do you love things like woodworking, metal shop, welding, auto shop, etc.? Do you have exceptional spatial reasoning and always find yourself being able to "see the solution" in your head in 3D? Do you have experience with mechanical thermoregulation systems?
Mechanical Engineer is a mission-critical position reporting to the Design Director as part of the Creative Team. The position also works closely with the Operations Team to move products from design to production. The Mechanical Engineer will work closely with our Industrial Designer(s) to bring our new product visions to life and getting them production ready.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to spin-up a new project and then lead the new team that will develop this project into a new line and new capabilities. You will be responsible for the entire product life cycle, from concept, to prototype, to serial production, with the latitude to put your mark on each step in the process. This project is foundational to the future strategy of our company, making this opportunity a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be in the driver's seat of a seminal effort that will have outsized impact on both our company and the market for a long time to come. It has the potential to reinvent an entire set of industries (and not small ones either) while giving the candidate a nearly unlimited ceiling for personal growth and professional advancement.
This role is more important than ever as we are a vertically integrated company. We invent, design, engineer, manufacture, brand, market, sell, distribute, and fulfill every product we make, all in-house from US materials right here at our Virginia HQ. We’re looking for someone committed to seeing their work realized everyday in pursuit of supporting our customers across all branches of the US Military, Constitutional Law Enforcement, SPORT (Snow Physical fitness Outdoor Recreation Travel) and America's finest enterprises to improve and save lives. If this sounds too good to be true to you, then we want to hear from you.
Mechanical Engineer responsibilities:
- Design/Specification/Prototyping - identify optimal engineering solutions for the project, spec, source, procure, prototype, iterate through production. Assist Production with tooling design and sourcing as needed. Work with Lead Industrial Designer to ensure on-brand aesthetic, functionality.
- Tooling - design, source, implement.
- Testing/Validation for all new product concepts, prototypes (hard data, quantifiable). You need to love getting your hands dirty and turning concept to reality, and then effectively transitioning those concepts into an incredible product that can be produced efficiently with uncompromising quality.
- Collaboration – ability to effectively communicate to a variety of people from different backgrounds and specialties across multiple departments. Comfortable seamlessly transitioning from leader to individual contributor. Curious about how the business works.
- Emotional intelligence – comfortable being customer facing (internal and external customers), with an innate understanding of what it takes to make your team members successful.
Our ideal candidate knows these cold (see what we did there):
- B.S. in any of the following: Mechanical Engineering, Product Design Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Materials Science, Thermodynamics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or similar
- Five years or more proven of experience in real-world engineering
- CAD (Fusion360, SolidWorks, Rhino/Grasshopper)
- Mechanical assembly design using engineering plastics and aerospace grade metallics
- 3D printing/additive manufacturing
- Injection molding
- Blow molding
- Thermoregulation systems (refrigeration, insulation, conduction, etc.)
- Power and control systems
- Tooling design
Awesome if you've got them:
- welding (RF, Ultrasonic)
- cut and sew operations
- CNC machining
- power systems
- advanced materials
- Operational field experience (not desk jobs): Military, Law Enforcement, First Responder, Emergency Medicine, utilities, pharmaceuticals, logistics, QSR (Quick Serve Restaurants)
How we will measure success: time to market for new initiative, iterative process with Design Director, Industrial Designer; project handoff to Production, ability to internalize and engineer "on brand" and ability to internalize end-user empathy.
Do you see things on this list that suck? Think you have a better way? We DEFINITELY want to hear from you.
Big advantage if you have a background in any of the following:
Military, Law Enforcement, Firefighter (Urban or wild land), First Responder/EMT, SAR/CSAR, Backpacking/Hiking, Mountaineering/Climbing, Outdoors, Travel, Food Service, Consumer Electronics, Crossfit, Running/Marathons, Combative/D-TAC
Click here to learn more about our recruiting process and working at Qore Performance®.
- All candidates must have the legal ability to work in the USA without sponsorship
- Ability to clearly communicate in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to pass a background check
- Ability to perform physical tasks required of the job
Work location: Qore Performance® Headquarters in Knoxville, TN MSA
Please submit a condensed resume (click here for guidance) and an expression of interest for review. Work location: Knoxville, TN. All candidates must have the legal ability to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Leave a comment