Soft rifle cases offer a blend of functionality, convenience, and protection with a low profile (ideally) for firearm enthusiasts and freedom loving citizens. These versatile bags provide a lightweight, portable, and easy to carry solution for transporting rifles while safeguarding them from scratches, dents, prying eyes and potential damage. In this article, we look into the features, benefits, and considerations of soft rifle cases, ensuring you make an informed decision when choosing the perfect one for your needs. At the end, we’ll also show you different ways to set up your soft rifle case and why you want a soft rifle case with a MOLLE field instead of a soft rifle case with fixed internal rifle straps.
Understanding Soft Rifle Cases
Soft rifle cases, also known as gun cases, rifle cases, or soft rifle bags, are typically made from durable fabrics such as nylon, polyester, or canvas. Unlike hard gun cases, which are constructed from rigid materials like plastic or aluminum, a soft gun case offers flexibility and is easier to carry over long distances. They are also much easier to pack in your car or truck because they more easily conform to the compartments in your vehicle than a hard gun case can. Hard gun cases can also scratch or scuff the surfaces of your car or truck (a hard no-go if you are like most of us and are into both guns and cars). You have no such concerns with a soft rifle case. They come in various sizes and configurations to accommodate different types of rifles, including scoped rifles, AR-15s, shotguns, and more.
Key Features to Consider
- Materials: Opt for cases made from high-quality, tear-resistant fabrics to ensure longevity and durability. The best materials come from the USA, Europe, and Japan.
- Padding: Look for cases with thick or (better yet) modular padding to provide optimal protection against impacts and shocks during transportation.
- Water Resistance: Choose water-resistant or waterproof cases to safeguard your rifle from moisture and environmental elements. Nylon is an excellent choice, but so are more exotic materials like X-Pac.
- Storage Options: Evaluate the number and configuration of pockets and compartments for storing accessories such as magazines, ammunition, and cleaning kits. Soft rifle cases with MOLLE fields on the inside of the bags are the best because you can use the MOLLE to attach pouches, secure your rifle with adjustable MOLLE Velcro Straps like these, and adjust the orientation of your rifle for maximum storage efficiency.
- Portability: Padded handles, shoulder straps, and backpack-style carrying options make for more comfortable transportation.
Compatibility: Ensure the case is compatible with the dimensions of your rifle, including any attachments like scopes, bipods, lights, or suppressors.
Benefits of Soft Rifle Cases
- Lightweight: Soft rifle cases are significantly lighter than their hard gun case counterparts, making them easier to carry during outdoor activities such as hunting or shooting competitions.
- Versatility: They are available in a variety of designs, including sleeve-style cases for minimalist protection and fully padded bags for maximum security.
Concealment: Soft cases offer a discreet way to transport firearms, minimizing attention and potential theft risks compared to openly carrying rifles. Be sure to find a soft gun case that DOES NOT have MOLLE on the outside, but rather has MOLLE on the inside. MOLLE on the outside of your gun case is high profile and draws unwanted attention to you and your case.
Above: 5.11 Soft Rifle case with MOLLE Velcro Straps to secure AR-15.
Tips for Proper Use and Maintenance
- Regular Cleaning: Keep your soft rifle case clean by wiping it down with a damp cloth and mild soap as needed. A garden hose also works particularly well, just make sure you remove all your items from the gun case first.
- Drying: Allow the case to air dry thoroughly before storing your rifle to prevent moisture buildup and potential rusting.
- Storage: Store your rifle in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and extreme temperatures to maintain its condition.
- Inspections: Periodically inspect the case for any signs of wear and tear, such as frayed stitching or damaged padding, and repair or replace as necessary.
- Proper Fit: Ensure your rifle is securely and snugly positioned within the case to prevent shifting during transportation. We highly recommend buying a soft rifle case with MOLLE fields on the inside of the bag so you can secure one or more rifles inside the bag if oriented properly. Our MOLLE Velcro Straps are perfect for this and are extremely affordable so you can purchase enough lashing straps to properly secure your rifle. We find that three to four MOLLE Velcro Straps are perfect for a AR-15 styles rifles of all lengths, with and without suppressors. For securing pistols in a soft gun case, one or two MOLLE Velcro Straps will do. The MOLLE Velcro Straps are adjustable and can easily fit over weapon mounted lights, high mount optics, lasers and bipods.
Soft Rifle Case Setup
If you have a soft gun case with MOLLE fields on the inside, you've made the right choice. With a MOLLE field on the inside of your soft gun case, you can add accessory pouches for things like cleaning kits, magazines, batteries, or first aid. However, you can also use the MOLLE fields, when combined with lashing straps, to secure your weapons in various configurations and in many cases, increase the carrying capacity of your soft rifle or pistol case. Here are some examples:
Above: soft rifle cases with internal MOLLE fields are optimal for maximizing storage efficiency through rifle orientation.
Above: Soft rifle cases with fixed internal lashing straps are not ideal because you cannot adjust the position or orientation of your rifle in your soft gun case.
MOLLE Velcro Straps by Qore Performance
Our MOLLE Velcro Straps are the perfect lashing strap option for use in a soft gun case lined with MOLLE. They present multiple advantages over fixed lashing straps in a soft gun bag:
1. Customize and adjust rifle orientation for maximum efficiency
2. Keeps your rifle more secure than fixed lashing straps
3. Adjustable length for use with suppressors, bipods, weapon lights, and tall optics mounts.
Above: Soft rifle case with MOLLE velcro straps securing rifle.
Soft rifle cases offer a discreet, practical and convenient method for transporting and storing your firearms. By considering factors such as material quality, padding, water resistance, portability, and configurability, you can choose the perfect case to suit your needs. Whether you're an avid hunter, competitive shooter, or recreational gun owner, investing in a high-quality soft rifle case is essential for protecting your valuable firearms for years to come.